• Total Time: 1305 minutes= 21.750 hours = 0.906 Days

Friday, January 14, 2011

Movie #8: Gossip

Date Watched: 1/12/10
Viewing: 1st

This little gem is from 2000 and had an interesting cast (James Marsden, Kid from Dawson's creek, Kate Hudson, brother from Boondock Saints) so I gave it a shot. Three students decide to start a rumor so they can study how it travels and evolves and later they can write about it for a college paper. Little do they know that their rumor may be a little true and things start to spiral out of control.

I gave this movie little potential because I couldn't see where the plot could go. Obviously I foresaw the first few complications of spreading the rumor and as they unfolded, I was less than enthused. However, what I did not anticipate was all the other inner workings of the plot. There are a few surprises that come up and for a while it becomes quite murky as to what really is true. Also the acting was solid given the cast and the characters' interactions are quite realistic. I think this movie is more gripping than an interesting discussion of gossip, as I feel like the movie was intended to be. I thought the movie was effective at showing how actions and words can be warped and twisted, and I thought the most interesting commentary might be on perception in general.

Overall, a surprisingly good movie that harps on what you should listen to and maybe more importantly what you should (or shouldn't) say.

I would recommend this if: you enjoy movies where you're not sure what is and isn't true until the end, like odd casts that work for some reason, really miss "Dawson's Creek" and want to see pacey in his prime.

Rating: 3 Stars (I was on the fence between 3 and 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment