• Total Time: 1305 minutes= 21.750 hours = 0.906 Days

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Movie #6: Killer at Large: Why Obesity is America's Greatest Threat

Date Watched: 1/11/10
Viewing: 1st

Ah I've been slow on the posts, but I have been watching movies as if I was DiCaprio from the Aviator (the shut inside thing, not the peeing in bottles thing). Now, I don't rush out to see documentaries or look to preach to the world. I feel as though the hipster in me is usually suppressed a fair amount, but I wanted to switch up my movie genres to get an eclectic sample. This is a documentary from 2008 in the same vein as "Supersize Me". It's a little more credible and traditional in it's unfolding and less hands on. It talks to presidents, professors, gym teachers, and people who have personally struggled with obesity.

I was quite reluctant to watch this movie at first and it does play very much like a documentary. Caveat, it has a few brief graphic moments (liposuction, diabetic feet,). At first I didn't think I was learning anything new. I know about exercise and our diets and how consumerism is destroying our country, etc etc. But as the movie unfolded, I found out a lot of really interesting information. They give you great statistics, historic examples, and most importantly a lot of viewpoints of the issue at hand. It becomes a discussion and not a lecture which is exactly what a documentary should do. It draws you in and engages you. After seeing this movie I was absolutely floored (I stopped eating my dinner of buttered noodles and pizza rolls halfway through). There was so much I didn't know that was adding to this nagging problem that plagues our country.

Now the most important thing to take away is what this movie is. I read a review that said something along the lines of "oh yeah they say this and that but not what to do to stop it". That's missing the point. It is really more of a public service announcement to inform you of what's going on. Quite literally, it has a bit that says, the point of the democracy is to give you all the information and let you decide what you want to do with it. It's almost a challenge pointing that proverbial finger back at all of us. I thought the movie did a good job not placing the blame with any one party too. It's become such an ordeal that I don't think it should be looked at as a group of individual battles, but a collective war.

Overall, an outstanding documentary that could not have a more relevant topic of discussion. I'll flat out say that everyone should watch this so they can understand obesity and be better informed. Then you may think or say whatever you want.

Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment