• Total Time: 1305 minutes= 21.750 hours = 0.906 Days

Monday, January 10, 2011

Movie #1: Kung Fu Hustle

Date Watched: 1/7/2010
Viewing: 1st time

I don’t know why I haven’t watched this movie until now. I consider myself someone who enjoys the genre of kung fu, and yet I did not search this one out for whatever reason. I’ve had it on loan from my friend John, sorry John, for months now and just got around to watching it. The very simple version of the plot is that there is an axe gang (bad guys) who assault many people. Eventually they attack a small village, due to a misunderstanding, but the village has a few surprises up it's sleeve. As the plot untangles you find that various characters are actually quite good at kung fu, and it kind of spirals out of control.

Despite how ridiculous it was, I loved almost everything about it. Let me backtrack and now put in a disclaimer: I don’t think most people would agree with me. It’s an absurd satire of kung fu, yet delivers on creativity and solid action sequences. Even if you don’t appreciate the subtle, and not as subtle, humor of Stephen Chow, it’s still a good kung fu movie. The plot is quite crafty and keeps you guessing where it might head next. It also gives you a feel good happy ending for those of you who enjoy that. There are some graphic violent moments, but I don’t mind that in my cinema personally. Most of it is over the top (like stallone) and thus not realistic at all. The best part, and really the allure, of this film are the small moments of genius and innovation of Chow. Things such as the antagonist, and later crew, dancing with axes at odd moments or using curtain rings in a fight are what distinguish this movie within its genre.

Overall, Kung Fu Hustle was incredibly entertaining and a lovely addition to the genre.

Watch this movie If: You love entertaining movies, love kung fu, or haven't seen a kung fu movie before.

Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment